(Update: Added more paintovers for the rifle and his back)
This is my attempt at doing paintovers. This is something I did quite a lot of when I made the Quadbot for Tears of Steel.
It’s been a while since i did a big modeling project. So i decided to get back in shape by modeling the Tauren Marine from the game Star Craft. The goal is to make a high quality character to put on my 2013 demo reel.
I actually started the Tauren Marine project over a year ago by sculpting and retopologizing his head. That was in September 2011, but at that time i had no chance of finishing the character. But now i do 🙂
The Tauren Marine is a Easter Egg in the game Star Craft 2. My main reference for this model is a concept drawing by Samwise Didier (art director at Blizzard). You can watch the concept art and get more info on the Tauren Marine at the link bellow:
During Project Mango i did a lot of FX work. Lots of breaking stuff, smoke and particles. But no fluids.
So now that Mango is over i decided to spend a bit of time to explore the fluid simulator. I’ve been working at a studio in Oslo for the whole month of October, so i only had time to play with this stuff after work hours.
Update nov 09 2012
Here’s the blend file if you want to play with it:
[vimeo clip_id=”52990029″ width=”720″][/vimeo]
I researched the websites of the other fluid-simulators (like naiad, realflow, pheonix and houdini) just to see how their stuff looks like compared to blenders. I also watched a lot of tutorials on the subject and scoured youtube looking for blender fluid videos.
One thing i realized was that none of the blender fluid examples had foam/spray in them. When you do a water simulation, that is bigger then lets say pouring water in a cup, then you probably will have small droplets being created. If you don’t have that then the scale of the simulation will always look smaller then what it really is. So i spent a lot of time trying to find a good way of rendering foam and small droplets.
It could still be improved, but i’m kinda happy with the results.
When i started 3d i also felt it was natural to study anatomy. So when i got my first job doing 3d i then spent my first salary on this guy-> http://www.anatomytools.com/male-figure-student-model-1-p13.php
Since then i always wanted to make a digital sculpt of him. 5 years later i finally had time to do just that 🙂
He’s still work in progress. I’m not a 100% sure if i’m going to finish him because i know its going to take a very long time to get him to a final state.
I used sculptris to start, then i moved it over to zbush (used qmesher to retopo).
Haha! I finally got the youtube video embed thing working.
[youtube 3-XZ-LJC7_8 700]
I’ve been doing a lot of research on physics for Mango. The video above shows a few of the tests I’ve made. I wrote about it on the mango blog here:
and also here:
It’s official. I’m going to be working full time in Amsterdam on Project Mango!
For me the project doesn’t start until March 2012. That means I still have time to prepare and practice on stuff that will be relevant to the project.
Out December my plan is to become a little bit more comfortable with concepting robots, with a combination of 2d and 3d tools. After that I’ll probably do a small VFX project just for practicing things like tracking and general FX-work.
This is going to be cool 😀
Yesterday I removed the old demoreel and replaced it with a new one. And today I sent in my application for project Mango to Ton! Fingers are crossed..
For you who don’t know what project Mango is. It’s a open movie project in Amsterdam.
Here’s a link to the project-blog: http://mango.blender.org/
Check out the new reel on vimeo, youtube or download it directly from here
For those of you who don’t know, HDRI-environments are 32-bit images that you can use in your 3d scenes as way to more accurately replicate lighting and reflections from a real life set. That makes it perfect for VFX integration work like in the image below
This image is a frame from a short animation I did for my demo reel.
The background plate was shot in 720p with my handheld Panasonic DMC-TZ10 camera. It was rendered in Cycles, with a custom HDRI-environment. Additional passes was rendered with Blender Internal and comped on top, like AO, Shadow and Velocity-passes.
I’ve used HDRI’s for years, but I have never actually known exactly how make one from scratch… until now 🙂
Real life shiny ball to the left, and Computer Generated version of the same scene on the right. That is really cool!
Unfortunately Gimp does not support 32-bit images so I had to use Photoshop to create this. It would be really nice to be able to create this kind of HDRI with open source software. Hopefully Gimp will support 32-bit in the future.